View Single Post
Old 06-19-2007, 07:10 AM   #5
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

Here it is if you haven't seen it:
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=211182&hubname=

What a weird deal. The two players are Hartnell & Timonen & yeah, they were slated as UFAs. And the Flyers got them both under 6-year deals. In the new NHL, that's reserved for guys you're going to build your franchise around (see: Brenden Morrow). The Flyers have been in a death spiral for a few years now, stuck in the old NHL mentality w/too many big slow dudes. These guys will help them a lot, but those contracts are at best, market value & really, kind of generous, IMO. So I don't know, I guess they bypassed a bidding war, but it seems like they probably could have gotten one or both in the open market w/these deals.

Interesting take of it by Mark at Andrews...he says this says more about the Preds & might be an indication of the beggining of a salary dump. Due to this year's encounters w/Nashville's "fanbase," I am openly rooting for the Preds to get moved to Hamilton or Las Vegas or Kansas City, but it's gotta suck for that organization to be big players the last few years--getting Kariya, Arnott, Forsberg, etc--& to get nothing out of it.