View Single Post
Old 12-22-2010, 10:48 PM   #94
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitproof View Post
Agree! Both are guys who haven't been full-time starters but are capable of starting there's a lot of flexibility there. Both have been contributing role players to a contender so I think they'd fit in great. Boobie is 24 and AV is 28 so age-wise, it's a move in right direction as well. Contractually, Varejao is good value and Boobie is bit rich for a 9th-10th man but still good value with Kidd's age and contract status next year.

You pointed out Varejao's strengths pretty well. Don't forget free throws for this season! I like Boobie as well.. he is a better shooter and scorer by far without giving up much as a passer or defender when compared to JJB.

Haywood/Ajinca/JJB matches salary-wise but I suppose that's not nearly enough relief for them.

We would be rocking:

Chandler/Varejao/Mahinimi
Dirk/Cardinal
Butler/Marion/Novak
Stevenson/JET/Dojo
Kidd/Roddy/Booby

Nobody is a defensive slouch and the number of bombers we have is startling (7 guys in our top 10 can be 40% beyond the arc guys) and also the flexibility is great. Almost everybody in the main rotation can play two positions equally well except the starting frontline which doesn't need to flex.

I'm starting to get attached to this...
the question remains: why would Cleveland do this? yes they would save some salary. but even if we threw in a 1st i don't think they'd do it. seems like some other contender would want either a 3pt. bomber that can get hot and really fill it up on a given night; or a versatile, hustling PF-C on a reasonable contract. i could see it if a 3rd team(Houston)gets Haywood and then gives Cleveland some young talent.

i think the importance of having two huge Centers for the playoffs thing is somewhat overstated. much rather have another big with some athleticism and fight. yes Haywood probably matches up better with Bynum, D. Howard etc. but Varejao's other strengths more than make up for the slight size discrepancy.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote