View Single Post
Old 06-10-2003, 02:38 PM   #1
ariosto

ariosto is on a distinguished road
Default "Europe's Next Big Thing"

These aer quotes from a Chad Ford draft article from last year. I'm posting it just to remind people (people like myself) that some of these guys are a lot of hype.

Getting a glimpse at Europe's next big thing
Wednesday, May 22
Updated: Thursday, May 23, 2:36 PM ET

By Chad Ford
ESPN.com

"After a 30-minute workout, it's clear Tskitishvili has the speed, the hops, the outside shooting touch and the ball-handling skills to rival anyone in the draft. He hit 10 NBA threes in a row at one point. His crossover would be phenomenal even for a smaller player. There is no stiff in this European."

""The kid can play," D'Antoni told ESPN.com. "I think he'll be a devastating four (power forward) in the league in a few years. He just needs a bigger body and a bigger rear end to handle the constant grind in the paint. Right now, he'll be fine out on the perimeter though. He can already nail threes -- NBA threes. He's 7-feet tall, how is anyone going to stop him?

"Fundamentally, he's all the way there. He's light years ahead of the high school and college kids when it comes to understanding the game. He's very fluid for a big man. And he's just a great kid. He's very polite and respectful. He works very, very hard." "

""On potential alone, I like him better than Kwame Brown," said the NBA executive. "He's already more advanced fundamentally, and I think he has the athleticism to compete with the elite players in the NBA. It's always scary to make a leap like this on limited information, but he's further along than any of the high school kids that have been drafted and his upside is still huge. I think, in five years, he could be better than Nowitzki because of his athleticism. Seven-footers like this just don't come along very often. Someone will take the chance." "

""He's got the body and athleticism of Garnett, but he's got the perimeter game of Bryant," said one NBA general manager."

Skita might still become a decent player, but reading stuff like this reminds me to temper my expectations about a lot of prospects. I am very suspicious of Pavel the Russian giant; like Skita, he couldn't get playing time in Europe. Guys like Yao Ming, Ginobili, and Pau Gasol dominated their leagues.