View Single Post
Old 07-30-2007, 03:01 PM   #5
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsluggo
Banning of Partial Birth abortions was only supported by a 55-43 majority?

interesting.

I had thought that the vast majority of Americans favored some sort of nuanced, in-between view on abortion-- neither wanting to ban it completely, nor wanting uninhibited abortion on demand in all circumstances.

I'm not sure of your point, but, "55-43 percent, most approve of the Supreme Court’s decision upholding restrictions on so-called partial-birth abortion." isn't very clear.
I think there's a sizable chunk that figure anything the Supreme Court decides must be something they can agree with. It's the power of authority. And "upholding restrictions on" doesn't mean banning. Depending on wording in the survey, two people with completely opposite views (ban it/ legalize it) might answer the question the same.

edit: here's the question -
Quote:
44. The Supreme Court also recently upheld a federal restriction on the
procedure known as partial birth abortion, banning the procedure except
when a woman’s life is at risk. Do you approve or disapprove of this
decision?
Approve Disapprove No opinion
so maybe someone that that wants it banned even when a woman's life is at risk and someone who doesn't like the restriction would both answer "disapprove". I have no idea what percentages those might be. But it's probably a small overlap. I'd also expect it to be more extreme than it is. They even used the term "partial birth" instead of "late term" .

Last edited by Usually Lurkin; 07-30-2007 at 03:07 PM.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote