View Single Post
Old 12-05-2008, 01:51 PM   #9
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usually Lurkin View Post
What do you mean "beg to differ?" You just added to, not disagreed with my post. The debate concerns "safety first." If you and your guru weren't more interested in arguing against people and were more interested in discussing with people, you might not be so hopelessly kooky.
I beg to differ with you when you say that "safety first" has been the crux of conservatism over these last several years. Support for the empire is the crux, and this support is sometimes sold through the more palatable "safety first." Hence John McCain can sing:
bomb, bomb, bomb,
bomb, bomb, Iran
like an absolute mad man and still win the Republican nomination. But after Ron Paul quite calmy and quite correctly argued that US meddling abroad is the source of much animosity, the Republican Party powers-that-be excluded him from the next debate to the cheers and jeers of the Repubican masses.

It would be nice if quite calm rational discussion had some merit, but I don't think the real world works that way. But I don't care, I'm an analyst first and foremost -- I rarely vote and I don't think the leviathan that is our Federal Government can be changed in any positive way, it's simply going to fall under it's own weight much as the Soviet Empire fell. So, I'm not too concerned with convincing others of my "sensibility" anyway....I'm not vain enough to think my opinion matters.

cheers