Old 11-04-2003, 11:51 AM   #1
Chicago JK

Chicago JK will become famous soon enough
Default Believing in Quincy???

If Parcells believes, have faith in Quincy
By Jim Reeves
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

IRVING - Do you trust Quincy Carter?

It's a bottom-line question, isn't it? It gets to the nitty-gritty about whether we believe in a resurrected Cowboys team that's 6-2 at the halfway part of the NFL season, and seemingly on its way to the playoffs for the first time since the 1999 season.

The question was bouncing around the airways on TV after Survival Sunday, when the Cowboys had as horrific a start to a game as any team ever, and still beat the Redskins 21-14 at Texas Stadium.

It was kicked around again on radio Monday morning.

IRVING - Do you trust Quincy Carter?

You hesitated with your answer, didn't you? You wanted to give a resounding shout: "Yes!" You wanted to pump your fist and lead the Blue Kool-Aid parade down Main Street. But you couldn't quite let yourself do it.

Me either.

But you know who doesn't hesitate?

Big Bill, that's who. Big Bill trusts Quincy Carter.

And who do we trust? Repeat after me: Trust in Big Bill.

So maybe it's OK to start believing in Quincy.

A little bit, anyway.

At his Monday morning news briefing, Parcells said Quincy's development has been the most pleasant surprise of the Cowboys' season. And he took about five minutes to enthusiastically explain why.

"There's no secret to why he's doing better," Parcells said. "There's no secret, there's no magic potion, there's no big change in his ability. What's changed is his preparation, his work ethic, his commitment. That's what's changed."

Maybe it's as simple as maturity, Parcells said. Maybe Carter felt like "his back was to the wall and it was close to the end of the line if he didn't do those things.

"Whatever it was, I don't care. I really don't," the coach went on. "I think that's where he has proven to me that he's going to take his responsibility and be stand-up about it. I like that."

If that's not an endorsement, I don't what is.

Parcells, in fact, doesn't really hide his fondness for the quarterback who was all but run out of town last year. He clearly likes Carter's enthusiasm, his eagerness to learn, his willingness to do whatever it takes to win.

Sure, Parcells is quick to throw the usual bromides, reminding us the third-year quarterback is a work-in-progress. But so is this odd-couple relationship between the two of them.

"All I want to do is encourage him now, see that he's prepared, see what he likes," Parcells said. "With a young quarterback like this, communication with him becomes more important.

"When you have a veteran guy like [Phil] Simms or Vinny [Testaverde], you can just look at him and say, 'You like this deal or not, this thing we're doing?' You could get a good feel for them and if they didn't like it, you'd just throw it out.

"With Quincy you've kind of got to go slower, because he wants to please you, he wants you to feel confident that he can make all the throws and that certain actions are OK with him. And yet, deep down I don't know what he really loves."

Who would have thought that Bill Parcells might care about what Quincy Carter loves? But he does.

And he's learning.

"A couple of times I'd say, 'What do you think about this?' and he'd say 'Well, dial it up'," Parcells said, and you could see the affection in the smile that played across his lips. "That means he likes it. 'Dial it up.' "

Yes, Carter still makes mistakes. He sometimes throws off the wrong foot, or under-throws a receiver. Sometimes he might miss a read.

He's not perfect, never will be. Nor will he ever be Troy Aikman. But he just might be good enough.

"I think he's improving as we go," Parcells said. "I think his game management's better. There are still two or three areas I want to talk to him about. There are a couple of things as a coaching staff that we might be able to alter to assist him a little bit."

But when Big Bill was asked if he had confidence in Quincy, he never hesitated.

"Yeah, I do. Here's the difference," Parcells said. "When we first started and he made a mistake, it wasn't surprising. When he makes one now, I'm surprised.

"He has a way to go, but he's on the march a little bit. He isn't still in boot camp."

No, he's not. Quincy Carter may march to a different drummer than most, but at least we know now who the drummer is.

It's Big Bill.

And if he trusts Quincy, maybe there's a lesson there for all of us.
Chicago JK is offline   Reply With Quote