View Single Post
Old 01-31-2019, 09:50 AM   #120
MavzMan
Golden Member

MavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_Wilson View Post
My only thing is it's pretty hypocritical to me to say "I won't have a rebuttal with someone who has no interest in anything but flaming a Christian" but Christian's are always saying things like "if you haven't changed your stance here you certainly won't enjoy what comes after". You can say you don't wish it on someone all you want but it comes off as a backhanded statement where you are saying something to the effect of "I pity you that you will be judged harshly since you don't believe like I do". As someone who comes from a very devout Lutheran family(I haven't been religious since I was a teen) I can say it's absurd to me that people of faith who imply a burning hell of sorts for not believing in a book written by man and translated and interpreted so many times over is to be believed "or else". In the example a few posts up people can't even agree on the time frame of 7 days and it's said the book is to be interpreted in some areas and not taken literal.

The fact is the biggest problem with Christianity is the bible itself is loaded with an absurd amount of contradictions or inconsistencies. Anyone who has actually read it and taken notes knows that it's a ridiculous amount. I haven't read the whole thing but I read a whole lot for my Confirmation when I was young. And depending on who you talk to those contradictions are explained away from human error or not to be taken literally, or embellishment, or sensationalizing, or some such excuse. It's written nobody has seen God face to face, and it's also written I have seen God's face. That's explained away as an interpretation and being a bit sensational with a vision of sorts or the idea of God itself. It's written to never harm innocents. Then it's written several times actions condoning hurting and killing innocents. It's written an eye for an eye so to speak and then also written to be the better person and forgive. Divorce is fine, and then it's apparently also not and tantamount to adultery. It's not good to steal but also you can take the livestock and belongings of the enemies. I mean you can list probably hundreds of inconsistencies. Those are just some off the top of my head. So when people ask questions it's understandable.
I do agree with you to some extent on the hypocritical point. I don't like it when christians aren't able to defend their faith, but make no mistake about it, it's a difficult thing to come to and defend. In fact, accepting Christ and following that path almost guarantees you trouble in today's society. Well, I guess you could argue it was trouble in Jesus' time also. Anyway, I'd like to take up just one of your contradictions and bring up the christian viewpoint. Please don't think of this as an attack or arguing, but rather just something to think about. Feel free to respond with questions or comments and I will do my best to give an answer, but obviously I'm not a scholar and my knowledge is just personal study, seeking and listening.

Everywhere in the bible (including Jesus' own words) it says that divorce is never fine. I think you can agree that 99% of the time, divorce is a very painful process. The reason for this is because marriage is such a deep connection on all levels, that it is literally ripping apart much like surgery is for the body.

What is God's intent of marriage? The intent of a biblical marriage is to "leave his father and mother and is united to his wife, and they become one flesh." This is the view that God has of marriage, becoming one flesh, one person, one mind, one with each other's thoughts, hopes, and desires. That is the goal.

So when/why is it accepted? Jesus' own words are "I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another woman commits adultery." In the verse before, he says "Moses permitted you to divorce your wives because your hearts were hard." Infidelity is something that is extremely difficult to overcome because the sexual union between a husband and wife is more than just physical. I can go into this in more detail, but won't at this time just to stay on topic.

Why did Moses say how to divorce? The reason for this is because at the time, divorce was seen even as a lesser thing than it is today. A man could walk out in the street and just declare that he is divorcing his wife and then be done with it. Also keep in mind, that wives in the day had very little rights. Moses' intent was to not allow a divorce to be simple and encourage the importance of marriage.
MavzMan is offline   Reply With Quote