View Single Post
Old 05-18-2009, 05:37 PM   #11
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_sir_6 View Post
I was i nthe Army for almost 9yrs. The only thing they did well was Dental. The Medical plan was to basicly give you 500mg of Motrin and tell you to get to work. I went to the ER for torn tendons in my tricep, and got a 3wk "no lifting" profile. I showed up at PT in the morning, and was told I still had to goto Sick Call and see OUR PA. You know, that officer who got 6months of medical training, vs the ER doctor, who is actually a MEDICAL DOCTOR! The PA determined I needed only a 1wk profile. And any other times you went in, you got seen by the Medics, those losers who got 8wks of training, who gave a shit about their job and you, and they got to determine if you were worthy of seeing the PA. Then when you did get a profile, you got treated like shit by your supervisors for being hurt. It was always a catch-22, you took it easy so you didn't get hurt, you got screamed at, and if you pushed 100% and got hurt, you got screamed at for getting hurt. And for the record, I tore the tendons in by both my tri's doing PT. Something about doing several hundred PUs and not giving up, even after muscle-failure, can really tear you up.

I couldn't pass a PT test either, but I think that could be a good idea. Problem would be the grading. Just like it varied in the slacker (support) units, how could it be consistent and fair? I think they should just do a body-fat index, and then have an acceptable height/weight formula. If you meet them, you pass. Plus the PT standards for the females was WAY OFF!!

I hear you as it relates to sick-call, the PA and all the military politics!!! That brings back some serious memories!!!

but I have to give em props for taking care of my family. My wife and kids didn't have to go through Company Sick-Call procedures and outside of waiting FOREVER, once they got to the doctor, they received quality care.

But again, I hear you when it comes to having to go on sick-call and then the catch 22 for even saying you feel sick, or complaining about this nagging injury or that nagging pain. If you want to get promoted, you have to work through the pain...yada yada...

To me, the military medical plan is as close to what we can expect from a 100% socialized medical plan...and I'll be the first to say, I am AGAINST this plan!!!

As for the Health standard...I like a mix of a Health exam in which the body fat/mass aspect is played into it, along with some type of a PT Test that can help to measure someone's health and fitness.

Keep in mind, that this would be optional...if they don't want the tax break they can elect to not participate. There's no penalty for not being healthy ( in tax terms ) but hey, if one is motivated by tax savings, then a tax break could help to motivate quite a few people to get rid of the excess bulge.

Speaking for myself, I would have to lose around 60 pounds to get to where I may qualify as healthy...I would work my arse off to lose the weight and stay healthy if it meant that I could cut some serious taxes. I'm talking Thousands of dollars, you know a REAL incentive!!!

By the way, thank you for your service to the country!!! Thank you for our freedom, from one veteran to another, GREAT JOB!!!
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote