View Single Post
Old 08-16-2010, 12:05 AM   #2405
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmacomic View Post
As a fan, I actually have 1/3rd of my arms tattooed in Star Wars, this is a very important scene.

You see Vader showing some humanity, and Luke (somewhat)creating his lightsaber. Lightsaber creation is a huge deal to becoming a Jedi, and with Luke in the cowl (very Sithish) and showing the green saber, it signifies his turmoil with becoming a Jedi. If you view RotJ with the idea that Luke has to choose his path, it makes the movie much deeper. This scene would have helped to show just how difficult Luke's journey was. People like to bash Luke as the whiny kid from the first movie, but Lucas ripped the character from classic mythology, without him there is no purpose for the saga. Luke is the most important character in the entire Star Wars story, and a little extra camera time in his conclusive chapter would have been nice. Seeing it now makes it that much better.
Nerd!

From a film-editing standpoint, Vader DID reference Luke's construction of a new lightsaber when they first met on Endor, so this information was included, although they probably glossed it over due to time constraints... Also the scene where he looks at his mechanical hand after he chops off Vader's hand references the turmoil of becoming a Jedi and the seduction of the Dark Side... But I do agree that the missing scene lends a little more weight to Luke's inner-conflict...

(yeah, the kettle just called the pot a nerd...)

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 08-16-2010 at 12:14 AM. Reason: i kant spel
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote