View Single Post
Old 08-17-2008, 11:22 PM   #403
jefelump

jefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
You are exactly right in recognizing that I am having a problem accepting the definition of the "problem" Harrold, TX, is facing and am seeking clarification. To me the definition is nowhere near "simply stated." I'd glad that you understand it so clearly, because then you are able to "simply state" it for me in a more lucid way than the article did. I'm also glad that it won't require your writing a book for you to do so.

Please, if it's not too much trouble, help me out by simply and clearly defining the "problem" that Harrold, TX, seeks to address by arming their schoolteachers.

If you don't mind, please don't refer me to the original article yet again. You and I have already established that I don't understand the issue based on my reading of that article. What I am asking is for you to state it in your own words.

The way I see it, it is pointless to offer up solutions, as you requested I and others do, when the problem is neither clearly defined nor fully understood. Since to you the problem is simple to grasp, you won't have any difficulty offering up that definition.

Thanks in advance.
Fine, I shall attempt to explain their concern/problem, as I understand it, since you are unable to do so yourself.

1) The Police Department is a 30 minute drive away from the school.
2) The school is very close to Hwy 287.
3) The close proximity of the Hwy offers an easy escape route for a criminal who wishes to target the school for the crime of their choice.
4) If someone were to attack the school (shooting, abduction, rape, etc), and if there were no police patrol cars nearby at the time, calling 911 would do no good.
5) Since the police can not arrive to offer protection and assistance in a reasonable time frame, the school is left to it's own resources to provide security and protection.

The following is based on my assumptions
1) This is a very small town, with roughly 100 students in the school. Therefore, it can be assumed the local police force is small. It can also be assumed that there is no off duty police officer available to work a second job as a security guard at the school.
2) If the local police force is small, I assume they don't have the extra bodies to spare by putting onsite cops at the school.

"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain

'Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,'
--Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .
jefelump is offline   Reply With Quote