Thread: Rondo?
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2014, 03:20 PM   #148
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Man, I have really mixed feelings about this one. I appreciate what Iggymc is bringing to this debate-- agree with him or not.

I have not seen enough of the Celtics of recent vintage to answer definitively whether injuries have taken a toll on Rondo or to speak to the level of his defensive effort. OF COURSE Rondo would give better effort here, on a contending team in the thick of a playoff race, surrounded by other accomplished vets.

But Erica I respectfully disagree that defense is 90% about effort. Its some combination of smarts, technique, conditioning, effort and athleticism. If Rondo's strongest trait defensively was always athleticism/anticipation and that has slipped some can he compensate in other areas? Is he willing to or able to recognize the need to?

Much has been written about Rondo's defense being overrated. I agree with the poster above(Thing or grandmasterc?)who said that his versatility to guard 1's or 2's is most important defensively, along with his rebounding ability. Also Rondo has played for championship contending teams and has shown an ability to turn it up a couple notches when it matters. He can be the absolute fiercest of competitors(when he wants to be). Therein lies the Rondo paradox and conundrum. He is both pain in the ass diva and warrior.

There are a few things that we have to trust to be true if this deal does go down:

- MBT has surveyed the trade landscape and cannot foresee a better player/fit coming available for what they have to offer

- they believe that making a trade for a player now w/ Bird Rights affords them the best chance to compete now AND for the rest of Dirk's career

- there will be a serviceable backup big available soon or one included in the deal

Last edited by mac222b; 12-18-2014 at 03:24 PM.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote