View Single Post
Old 01-23-2010, 02:09 PM   #90
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndmstr_c View Post
The thing with Iggy is that while he's clearly not in Martin's class as a scorer, and I don't believe that he's a guy you can look to to carry the scoring load on a consistent basis, history suggests he'd be capable of giving the team at least something in the range of 18 ppg on 55% true shooting, even if he didn't see an uptick in his scoring efficiency playing with Kidd and Dirk.

That, by itself, would help given how poorly (and little) Josh has been playing. But Iguodala (unlike JHo and Martin) is an outstanding passer at the SG/SF spots, and because of that I think he'd help the Mavs get more out of the weapons that they do have.

And as much as I do favor balance, Iguodala is also in a class by himself (among those floated in rumors, at least) on the defensive end. The Mavs' defense has been less suspect than their offense in general, but they still have room to improve in that area and he would help there.

All that said, I think I could still be talked into Martin being the guy the Mavs should focus on, because he is an incredibly gifted scorer, if it weren't for the injury history. It's just so important to be able to count on your top guys being available. Josh's inability to stay healthy (or perhaps his unwillingness to tough it out) has just killed his usefulness to this team, and I'd hate to see that happen with the guy the Mavs get to replace him.
Good stuff. The injuries are absolutely a concern. And Iggy is absolutely a very gifted passer. I just question how much that helps with the way the Mavs run their offense. (Although I suppose I should give Carlisle enough credit to expect him to be able to adjust to the talents of a new swing man).

The prospect of pairing two defenders that elite on the wings is certainly interesting. And make no mistake, I would absolutely be excited about obtaining Iguodala. But the prospect of pairing two of the most efficient scorers in the NBA together makes me all tingly.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote