View Single Post
Old 02-22-2011, 11:27 PM   #37
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The Mavericks returned to the practice court after being off during the All-Star Break. Players returned from all around after enjoying their nice break. Coach Rick Carlisle said that Tuesday was all about opening the lungs back up and he liked what he saw in the team. "It was good," said Carlisle. "This is an important workout because we've got to get the right amount of work but we don't want to leave our game on the practice court today." The team is aware that they will be seeing a motivated Utah Jazz team and the team expects Utah to be razor sharp on Wednesday night, "They're going to compete like hell," said Carlisle.

The trade sending Carmelo Anthony to the New York Knicks was a topic of conversation amongst the Mavericks, Dirk Nowitzki is hopeful that the deals are not done. "It's great for the West," Nowitzki said. "Hopefully Kobe Bryant and Tim Duncan go East next." The trade does change the culture within the Denver Nuggets orginization and it does make things a little more open in the bottom half of the Western Conference, but the Mavericks know that they are working on doing their best to improve daily. They are not necessarily focused on catching the San Antonio Spurs, but they would not mind if that were to happen. "We're going to catch them sooner or later, whether it's now or in the playoffs," Terry said Tuesday following the Mavericks' first post-All-Star break practice. "We'd rather it be in the playoffs, in the Western finals or what have you. But we're going to catch them."

Carlisle understands that the West will remain a battle, no matter if Carmelo Anthony is in the West or not. "It's the west, it's competitive," Carlisle explained. "Every night is a meaningful game and a big-time grind to compete at a high level. The most important thing is to stay in the moment, continue to work to get better and you've got to go one day at a time." One of the challenges for the team has been the ability to maintain a comfortable lead. Jason Terry attributes it to a "killer instinct." That is not to say that the Mavericks do not have a killer instinct, it is just that it comes and goes. "I think we have it," said Terry. "I think that game in Phoenix really was a statement maker for us. Coming in on a back-to-back, going in there and winning in the fashion that we did, I think this team has a killer instinct and we're going to have to bring it out every night."
rest at http://www.mavsmoneyball.com/2011/2/22/2008379/practice