View Single Post
Old 04-25-2006, 01:25 AM   #80
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Also, if Cuban had re-signed Nash, who would've been our starting center last year?

Some people have very short memories. It wasn't that long ago when the one thing that kept us from being legit in the eyes of most fans (including mine) was a center who could defend and rebound. We had DESPERATELY needed a center for something like four years, and the problem was made that much more hard to ignore after the failure that was the 03-04 season. So let's step into Mark Cuban's shoes. We just lost in the first round after going to the conference finals, and we still can't guard anybody in the paint or on the perimeter. You have every intention of re-signing Nash and you have an idea of how much it will cost you. However, your top priority is to acquire a center. Erick Dampier looks to be the kind of guy that meets the team's needs, you pay what you need to for him. Remember, he's a bigman, and a sought-after one at that, so he ain't cheap. But surprise! Before you can do that Nash gets an offer nobody thought he would. So now you have a dilemma. Do you keep Nash, and TRY to get another center through trade or free agency, even though there doesn't seem to be anyone else available that can give your team what it needs? OR, do you get the center you need and want, let Nash walk, and take your chances by drafting Devin Harris and trading for Jason Terry?

I'm not saying we Maverick fans got the better end of the deal, but Chum and the rest are sorely mistaken when they pretend that there was no logic in Cuban's decision. It was a calculated risk, and one could say it backfired. I, however, am not one of those people because I see a team that improved afterward, and is closer to a championship now than it ever was when Nash was here. But that's just me.

Edit: Chum is also sorely mistaken when he accuses people who saw the logic in his thinking of "riding cuban's nuts." Chum, I have never in my life ridden anyone's nuts, especially not Mark Cuban's. I wanted what was best for the team, and I agreed with the decision. I might have been wrong, although it's certainly not impossible to make a case that it wasn't ultimately in the team's best interests. And I sure as hell wasn't riding Cuban's nuts when we traded for Antoine Walker and let Raja Bell walk.

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 04-25-2006 at 01:35 AM.
Thespiralgoeson is online now   Reply With Quote