View Single Post
Old 01-17-2013, 06:51 PM   #86
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurred1 View Post
Splitter has been with the Spurs for 2-3 years now. He had a ton of experience playing overseas, yet was terrible for most of the time with the Spurs. Only in this season is he finally getting consistent.
Green and Neal they are developing. Green has been pretty good for the Spurs,esp.
Leonard was good in college, that's why the Spurs gave up Hill to get him. They knew he had potential.
Do the young guys on the Mavs have the potential to be good? Simply playing them because they're young doesn't automatically mean they'll improve. Seems like a lot of it is mental and smarts. Do DC and Roddy have the smarts?
Idk how much potential the young Mavs have to be good. Id say its a case by case basis. MBT should place a higher emphasis on scouting/player development IMHO. Maybe its simply a case of losing too many guys- Barea, Bass, Chandler- with nothing much to show for it. I mean how many young talents HAS this team identified/developed over the last decade? JJB, to me, is an instructive example. He had (some would say) the almost irrational trust of RC. That trust paid off big-time(!)

Idk if DC and Roddy have the smarts. Didn't JJ have a tough time getting Dirk the ball? It drove people around here near mad at times. Didn't JJ have defensive liabilities?

I know that this is a transitional year and that not all of Crowder(who has been handled well with a somewhat defined role and regular minutes)Sarge, Cunningham, Wright, Roddy and Collison can get minutes. Im objecting to the young guys getting jerked around. Fischer comes in and starts over DC and Roddy w/out playing a minute with the team? And then leaves soon after? Collisson, who has been playing really well, gets pulled with 4minutes to go last night for that renowned defensive stopper Mike James?! It just looks a little clownish and mismanaged from the outside looking in. You can't claim that its a merit based system and not hold every player to the same standard. Just rings hollow. You don't gain the respect of your guys that way.

And i know that the Spurs have a totally different set of guys and a different situation going. I just thought that was a convenient comparison. Pop/Buford do a great job identifying guys to fit their system and then in developing them. I seriously doubt that POp is any less demanding and exacting then RC.
I think it comes down to Pop having better player management skills and a better sense of the larger picture.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote