View Single Post
Old 05-29-2003, 02:00 AM   #94
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

<< I think Malone has 2-3 high quality years still left in him -- assuming he wants to play that long. >>

You may be right. Certainly Stockton-to-Malone lasted far longer than anybody ever expected and Malone might continue to do so. But there have been too many recent examples demonstrating at some point NBA big men go downhill fast for me to be willing to take that chance.

<< Brown is the better rebounder and the better and more versatile defender. Malone is still pretty good in both areas, and he's much better offensively, both as a scorer and as a passer. >>

I'd certainly agree that Malone is much better offensively. But more offensive is not what the Mavs need (though it never hurts), they need the areas where Brown is better (rebounding and defense). Next year, the primary competition is going to be the same group as this year--Spurs, Kings and Lakers. So when you are talking about the power forward position you are talking about someone to match up with Duncan and Webber.

Or try this thought, as the Lakers know they need to shore up the power forward position--which would you rather see: Dallas getting PJ Brown and LA getting Malone, or Dallas with Malone and LA with Brown--to provide defense on Malone? (Utah was 0-2 vs. New Orleans this year)

That said, you make a very valid point. Malone would have to be the 4th option, and I honestly don't know how he'd adjust to basically being asked to do the grunt work in the trenches. That's all that Brown has known his entire career.

<< I'd LOVE to add Magloire. If I had to choose between Magloire and Brown, it'd be tough. >>

I know what you mean. Though I'd probably go with Magliore even though I like Brown better--simply because Magliore is 25 meaning that he could pair with Dirk in the long-term, something the Mavs need to be thinking about.
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Corollary #2: If you can't do that, get off the floor.
Hoopsmeister is offline   Reply With Quote