View Single Post
Old 06-01-2021, 12:26 PM   #170
turin
Diamond Member

turin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant future

Here's my crazy suggestion:

Boban, Powell, Luka, Green, DFS starting 5.

Luka is HoF PG, let him read and react. He can lob to either Powell or Boban, DFS can be corner 3 guy with Green as a cutter.

Defensively, Boban and Powell anchoring a zone in the paint. Boban has the size to guard the basket, let's see Powell and Green bring some energy. Green and DFS will be worth trying around the perimeter. They won't be so exposed in zone defense. They just have to get out fast enough to somewhat contest 3's. Maxi can also start or play in place of Powell. He would give you another, better 3-pt shooter.

2nd unit: Brunson, THJ, Richardson, KP, and WCS. Again, play a zone. Brunson at PG can dribble penetrate. KP can stand out at the 3 with THJ, and Richardson can be in for defense also.

These lineups are only crazy because they are the antithesis of midget, no-D, 3-pt chukking. 2 Bigs in the middle in a zone to deter penetrations. This would make it more difficult for the Clippers to play inside out if there's not much "inside" to be had. Plus the bigs will be more effective taking away PG's mid-range game and FT line jumpers if they aren't chasing people out to the perimeter.

I know this will never happen, but this is just how I prefer to see the Mavs play - with size and more defense and rebounding. It's a totally different style of play, but imo the Mavs roster has a better chance of consistent success playing this style in hopes of winning a 7 game series than to bomb away from 3 with little to no defense.

Sure, go ahead and tell me how ridiculous this is while watching the Mavs continue to get physically dominated and run out of the building if they can't shoot 45% + from 3-pt. while playing turnstile defense in the paint.

Last edited by turin; 06-01-2021 at 12:31 PM.
turin is offline   Reply With Quote