View Single Post
Old 10-31-2008, 09:32 AM   #40
DavidDaMonkey
Platinum Member

DavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2sarajevo View Post
Man, last night was great. I only heard her once.

As to furniture chewing, chicken wire is the key (use it as a barrier around furniture that would be hard - or expensive - to replace). We were given this tip by the breeder, and told that after 8 weeks it would be safe to remove. Supposedly she learns the behavior to leave that furniture alone. So the only thing she is exposed to that would be hard to replace is our couch. And she hasn't done anything with that (yet) other than lounge around.

Quick question, if you don't mind, on house breaking. I don't have experience with that because our last doggie we rescued and was already house broken. So we were told to keep her in an enclosed room at night with cardboard for her to do her business on (and of course, taking her out before bedtime to do her business). We are doing that, and it's working great so far..... she only goes on the cardboard at night and we have had no "accidents" yet. Is that a good way? I don't get how she will learn to hold it at night until I take her on her morning walk if she is given something that she will see that we accept her to do her business on at night. Maybe I am overthinking this.
The cardboard, in my experience, is just to help them until they are old enough to hold it that long. Its like diapers for a baby. You don't start potty training a baby right when they pop out, because they physically can't hold it that long. Eventually, you can take the cardboard away and start rewarding her when she goes outside. Remember though, its not about punishing her for going inside, its about rewarding her for going outside.

Also, one thing that can help is to eventually move the cardboard outside where you want her to pee. Then she learns that she is supposed to go outside. Once she knows that, you can take away the cardboard and she will still go outside. Over time she will learn that outside is the bathroom. It like, even though you have towels and things in your room, you still pee in the toilet (I hope) because you have learned that is the correct place to go.