View Single Post
Old 07-24-2012, 01:59 AM   #48
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitproof View Post
We like to think that we're more like this athlete or that athlete but that's sort of like a chicken saying it's more falcon than eagle. I doubt any of us are like Dirk. Not that many folks go overseas at 19 to become an international megastar at a foreign sport.. dude is a special cat.

All Dirk love aside, that's beside my original point. My point is our society gave us LeBron James, Kevin Durant and Kevin Love. We love individualism, celebrities and marketing the crap out of sneakers. We do 120M endorsement deals, reality TV and clock YouTube dunk clips a million views easy. Our society didn't produce Dirk for a reason. It did also produce the best overall basketball talent by far for a reason, too.

We all can say we don't relate to these mega mega basketball stars, who are even celebrities to their fellow Olympian athletes, but they do represent us (us meaning Americans, not necessarily every single American). Sort of like the way the President represents Americans, but not necessarily every American.

Not trying to come off more American or anything like that.. I'm just not sure I follow the logic. Think you could beef against who the USA basketball committee picked as national reps rather than beef against the people wearing the USA jersey.
You have fun rooting for symbolic interests - I'm going to go ahead and root for tangible interests...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote