View Single Post
Old 12-25-2008, 10:28 PM   #18
jefelump

jefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
I don't get where you are coming from. What are the charities to give to that are not only different from, but in the context of our discussion more deserving than, street people?

"Churches are charities" is a bigger claim than I think you want to make.
I have to agree with jthig here. Churches do a lot of charitable work, therefore can be considered a charity.

From dictionary.com
Quote:
char⋅i⋅ty

1. generous actions or donations to aid the poor, ill, or helpless: to devote one's life to charity.
2. something given to a person or persons in need; alms: She asked for work, not charity.
3. a charitable act or work.
4. a charitable fund, foundation, or institution: He left his estate to a charity.
5. benevolent feeling, esp. toward those in need or in disfavor: She looked so poor that we fed her out of charity.
6. leniency in judging others; forbearance: She was inclined to view our selfish behavior with charity.
7. Christian love; agape.
How many churches do you know of who do NOT participate in the kinds of activities listed above?

If I pay tithes and offerings to my church, and my church uses that money to aid those in need, how is that not charitable? How is my contribution anything other than charity?

"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain

'Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,'
--Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .
jefelump is offline   Reply With Quote