View Single Post
Old 12-20-2019, 10:04 AM   #1377
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
I definitely don't agree that there is "no way" he is HOF worthy. He was one of the most versatile SGs of his generation, and his only major flaw was ball handling...yet he was an excellent passer. He definitely fits in with Marion as very good but not great.
In terms of his resume and career accolades, he's not even remotely close to HoF worthy. Only a 2 time all-star, 0 all-NBAs. He does have one championship, although he was not a particularly important part of the team that won it. There's no shortage of far better, far more accomplished players than him that are still waiting and may never get in. Off the top of my head, Chris Webber, Shawn Kemp, Sidney Moncreif, Penny Hardaway, Tim Hardaway, and Latrell Sprewell are far more deserving than Fin, will probably never get in, and I'm honestly not sure they should. Honestly I don't think Marion is really Hall of Fame worthy, but my bar is probably a bit higher than the actual Hall of Fame's is. Personally I'm not sure Webber's NBA career on its own is really Hall of Fame worthy, but I'd probably squeak him in because of the Fab Five stuff. Fin wouldn't even be at the top of my list of former Mavericks for Hall of Fame. Mark Aguirre and Ro Blackman were both better players with more accolades, and I'm almost certain neither will ever get in.

There are exceptions, but typically 7 time all-star is what's considered a lock for Hall of Fame. There's a few guys who have gotten in with only 5 or 6 all-stars and a few all-NBA's, but they're pretty rare. They're typically guys who have something other noteworthy to their resumes, like Chris Mullin for example, had a great college career and was on the Dream Team. For me personally, I think you need to have been one of the players who defined your era. You need to have been a top 10-15 player of your era, or at least have done something else really noteworthy (been an important piece of a dynasty e.g Parker and Ginobili, or win multiple DPOY's for example.)

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 12-20-2019 at 10:52 AM.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote