View Single Post
Old 06-25-2011, 11:23 AM   #95
kingmalaki

kingmalaki is infamous around these partskingmalaki is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
Stats like PER and win shares are sorta like QB Rating in football. They're not everything by any means but they're certainly not nothing either. Efficiency is really an entirely different statistical category on its own. Personally, I view both stats essentially as a player's bball IQ rating; who takes the smartest shots, makes fewer mistakes etc... It doesn't necessarily measure a player's overall worth, but it IMO what it does measure how much a player contributes to the game within his own specialized role; how much the player immediately impacts the game. It's why you sometimes see bench players with higher PER's than his team's franchise player. Doesn't make him a better player necessarily, just a smarter one maybe.
Good points. I'm not trying to say the metric has no value or that it should be completely ignored. But I can't use the metric to say Player X had better numbers than Player Y, or that Player X was definately better than Player Y because guys with worse numbers have a higher metric than guys with better numbers (i.e. the Dirk/Bird example), guys who were worse players have a higher metric than guys who were better than them, and PER discounts defense.

Now that win shares per 48, at least the top 20 of that list doesn't have as many ridiculous conclusions.

Last edited by kingmalaki; 06-25-2011 at 11:24 AM.
kingmalaki is offline   Reply With Quote