View Single Post
Old 02-09-2012, 11:46 PM   #44
b_o_r
Golden Member

b_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
I would have KILLED to have Carlisle coaching this team in 2005-2008. I remember in '07 nearly pullling my hair out with rage because the Mavs chose to stick with Avery when Carlisle was readily available.

Amen. Beyond that, to this day I still think the Mavs could've made another title run in 2008 if they had a competent coach. I think that roster was actually BETTER than the 2007 roster which won us 67 games. But Avery insisted on consistently playing Brandon Bass at center. That decision alone I think cost us about 6 games that year, not to mention Avery's time-honored tradition of relying on the scrubs like Stackhouse and Devean George to carry the team's offensive burden. And if all of that wasn't enough, his insufferable personality made sure that the environment in the locker room was toxic.

That season was maybe the closest I've ever come to completely checking out as a fan because I just knew the Mavs were wasting their opportunities for a championship on Avery. Meanwhile, Carlisle was sitting right there without a coaching job working for ESPN.

The fact that we got Carlisle that offseason and did eventually win a championship eases a lot of the pain from those memories. Still, I can't help sigh and wonder what could have been. If we'd had Carlisle in 06 and 07, the Mavs might very well have three titles today. Oh well.

Oh, and while we're on this subject, I'll take this opportunity to brag shamelessly.

http://www.dallas-mavs.com/vb/showthread.php?p=771143

To my knowledge, this is my earliest mention of my desire to have RC coach this team. Roughly 7 months before he signed on as coach. FTW!
-A lot of revisionist history going on here. The Mavs til this day have a hard time containing Chris Paul/speedy PG in general, yet Carlisle would have taken them to victory. Just face facts, the Hornets and Warriors were a bad match up for the Mavericks.
-The Heat series was a different animal by itself.
-Carlisle has a history of relying on scrubs as well.
-It was Avery/Harris who laid the foundation of the defensive culture of the team and the slowing down of the offense.
-It was Avery who got on Dirk to develop a low post game.
b_o_r is offline   Reply With Quote