View Single Post
Old 06-28-2011, 11:57 PM   #101
kingmalaki

kingmalaki is infamous around these partskingmalaki is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
Magic doesn't have a low PER. His PER is more than solid. His PER just isn't as good in the post season as it was in the regular season. Sometimes, his PER was pulled down a bit because of Turnovers..other times, it was because of his shooting percentages. Even when Dirk's FG% has been down in the playoffs, he's more than made up for it with trips to the line. Magic had his moments to where he got to the line alot, but Dirk's averaged about 2 more trips to the line and is a significantly better FT shooter than Magic (even though Johnson was solid at the stripe).

And when it comes to not turning the ball over, there are few better big time scorers in the history of the game than Dirk.

As far as the regular season goes, I would be shocked to find out that there's more than 1-2 other players in the history of the game that aveage 20+ points a game for their career but turn the ball over less than 2 times a game.
It's not that his PER is "low", it's that so many folks have a higher PER than him. If we are comparing Malone and Dirk and you are telling me Dirk had better numbers based on his PER, then wouldn't the same logic hold true for other PG's in comparison with Magic? Magic has plenty of seasons where his numbers were better than CP3's yet his PER has never been as high.

The PER metric has too many inconsistencies like that for me to say it's reliable when using it to compare players. For example, David Robinson has a higher PER than Wilt and Kareem!!
kingmalaki is offline   Reply With Quote