View Single Post
Old 09-05-2008, 01:15 PM   #26
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Here are direct quotes of Obama from the transcript:

Quote:
Number one, whenever we define a previable fetus as a person that is protected by the equal protection clause or the other elements in teh Constitution, what we're really saying is, in fact, that they are persons that are entitled tothe kinds of protections that would be provided to a -- a child, a nine-month-old -- child that was delivered to term. That determination then, essentially, if it was accepted by a court, would forbit abortions to take place. I mean, it -- it would essentially bar abortions, because the equal protection clause does not allow somebody to kill a child, and if this is a child, then this would be an antiabortion statute
His description here was inaccurate. The bill was only dealing with children after they are born. This bill had no effect on unborn children.

Quote:
The second reason taht it would probably be found unconstitutional is that this essentially says that a doctor is required to provide treatment to a previable child, or fetus, however you want to describe it. Viability is the line that has been drawn by the Supreme Court to determine whether or not an abortion can or cannot take place. And if we're placing a burden on teh doctor that says you have to keep alive even a previable child as along as possible and give them as much medical attention as -- as is necessary to try to keep that child alive, then we're probably corssing the line in terms of unconstituionality.
This flies directly in the face of:

Quote:
And I hate to say that people are lying, but here's a situation where folks are lying. I have said repeatedly that I would have been completely in, fully in support of the federal bill that everybody supported - which was to say --that you should provide assistance to any infant that was born - even if it was as a consequence of an induced abortion.
Link

He is flat out lying. He was fighting to keep the "previable" designation relevant to babies outside of the womb.

Note: Forgive the typos in the quotes, that PDF does not allow copy/pasting, so I typed the quotes.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 09-05-2008 at 01:18 PM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote