View Single Post
Old 02-04-2021, 04:17 PM   #458
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
Very interesting bit in an article from the Ringer. [url[https://www.theringer.com/nba/2021/2/1/22260012/dallas-mavericks-houston-rockets-san-antonio-spurs[/url]

"But the Mavs should be aggressive in finding someone even better. The problem is Dallas can’t trade a first-round pick until 2027 unless the top-10 protections are removed from the 2023 first being sent to New York. If that happens, then NBA rules would allow Dallas to trade firsts in 2025 and 2027, plus pick swaps in 2022, 2024, and 2026. With the ability to trade their picks and a number of talented young players on the roster, the Mavericks could put together a strong trade package for any star who might become available, such as Wizards guard Bradley Beal."

I didn't realize that's how the rules about trading picks worked. I thought we were just screwed until like 2027. Maybe we still are? I'm confused about this. He says "if top 10 protections are removed." Meaning, the Mavs can chose to this, and this would allow the Mavs to trade first rounders again? If that's true, than the Mavs could still conceivably put together a decent trade package for an impact player. He mentions Beal, but I'm not thinking of him necessarily, I just mean anyone.
I mean technically it's true. If we relinquish the protections in 2023 then we can trade 2025 and 2027. As well as pick swaps in 2022/2022/2024, however...

1) 2025 and 2027 are obviously a long way away. I wonder if that would be appealing for a team that is trying to retool in the next year or two. Also hypothetically if we get Beal, then that would, in theory, make us a good team and that first-rounder would be a late first which are not that appealing.

2) It's possible but unlikely that those protections could save us too. I'd die to have protections this year just in case we can't correct the ship. I can't imagine giving Knicks two lottery picks. This year we're currently 8th and in the lottery with the possibility of scoring a top three. We don't have a choice this year, but in 2023 we could at least keep the pick if we ended up with a top 10 pick.

3) Pick swaps aren't that valuable to teams like the Wizards and may actually have no value at all. For instance, if you disregard the lottery, Wizards would draft 3rd this year. We'd draft 8th. Wizards would decline to trade their 3rd for our 8th. If we got Beal and made a push for the playoffs, we'd likely have the 15-30th pick. If we make the playoffs then there isn't even a tiny chance that we win the lottery.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 02-04-2021 at 04:28 PM.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote