View Single Post
Old 10-12-2008, 10:12 AM   #10
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Just Like Old Times
Cowboys Must Beware Of This Throwback Warner

IRVING, Texas - When he came into the league not many gave much thought to a 27-year-old former grocery store bagboy and AFL player.

Now Kurt Warner, 11 years later, has won one Super Bowl, played in another, won two NFL MVP awards and has beaten out the 2004 Heisman Trophy winner for the Arizona Cardinals starting job this season.

Even amid rumors and brief consideration of retirement, Warner leads the NFC in passing and is third in the NFL at age 37.

With top receivers Larry Fitzgerald and Anquan Boldin, Warner has revived the career thought to be over before it began. Throwing for 1,472 yards and 10 touchdowns so far in five games this season, only Drew Brees and Jay Cutler have thrown for more yards and only Brett Favre and Philip Rivers have a higher QB rating than his 102.5.

Still, Warner understands his football mortality, and especially at his increasing age.

After seeing Boldin taken off on a stretcher following a head-hunting hit a few weeks back against the Jets, Warner sent a text message to his wife saying, "I don't know how much longer I want to do this," then continuing on to say he would evaluate what he wants to do when the season is completed.

"It wasn't a situation where I was ready to retire at that moment in the middle of the season," Warner said the other day in a conference call. "It was really just one of those situations where I have never been up close and personal to something like I saw happen to Anquan (fractured sinus)."

Nevertheless, the 37-year-old quarterback will be under center for the Cardinals this Sunday when they meet the Dallas Cowboys at a sold out University of Phoenix Stadium, the 3-2 Cardinals and in first place in the NFC West trying to knock off the 4-1 Cowboys. And the Dallas defense knows what that means.

"He's a very experienced guy, he's not a guy who's gonna run around a lot," Cowboys outside linebacker and sack leader DeMarcus Ware said. "But if it's 60 plays, they're probably going to pass the ball probably about 50 times a game. His passing rating is very good, he doesn't throw a lot of interceptions - a lot of quick passes. We have a lot on our hands, they're a very high powered offense."

And with the game being played in Arizona, Warner's numbers only get better. He is a career 28-13 when playing home games. But it's not just Warner, the Cardinals have won five straight games at home, including two this season. In those two games, they have outscored their opponents, 72-27.

In the Cardinals' loss to the Jets in Week 4, Warner had issues holding onto the football, though. Not only did he throw three interceptions, but also fumbled the ball four times, losing three of them.

So Warner has enlisted the help of his kids in order to help remind himself how important it is to take care of the football.

"After the Jets game, as I was chasing my kids around the house, I picked up a ball and put it in both hands and try and secure it with both hands," Warner said.

"Just messing around, figuring out that any little thing couldn't hurt as far as getting more comfortable with ball security."

The other goal for Warner and the Cardinals offense is handling the Cowboys' pass rush - especially dealing with DeMarcus Ware, who has a sack in eight straight games.

But the Cowboys defense doesn't expect the Cardinals to change their scheme come Sunday. They expect Warner to take a lot of short drops, allowing him to get the ball out quicker. And there is a good chance the Cardinals, knowing the Cowboys will be without Pro Bowl corner Terence Newman and having to rely on a bunch of youngsters on their change-up defenses, will liberally employ their three-receiver sets.

"What they're doing has been successful, and anytime you're an offensive guy, or quarterback or offensive coordinator and something you've been doing has been real effective you probably wont get away from it," Cowboys defensive end Marcus Spears said.

So the Cowboys must deal with a veteran quarterback who has revived his career, a throwback to his days with the St. Louis Rams when he made a name and career for himself.

And if he keeps playing at this high level, these other NFL teams will only be hoping he retires.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote