View Single Post
Old 06-10-2009, 03:44 PM   #18
ray_sir_6

ray_sir_6 is a jewel in the roughray_sir_6 is a jewel in the roughray_sir_6 is a jewel in the roughray_sir_6 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexamenos View Post
It's blatantly obvious that not one of you understand the contrast and comparison between the positivist view of law and a natural rights view of law, so I'll try to dumb things down a little more....make it a lot more.

The question in the first post was (paraphrased) 'Why are so many people on the Dallas Sheriff's most wanted list black?'

Let's start by taking a look at the top 5 on the Dallas Sheriff's office website and their heinous crimes against humanity --

5. Charles Eugene Johnson, Possession of drug paraphanalia and fare evasion
4. Donald Ray Templeton, Unregistered vehicle and a variety of motor vehicle transgressions
3. Patrick Darnell Owens, Fare evasion and theft of service under $20
2. Kevin L. Smith, Fare evasion and Clerks II;

and the number one spot on Dallas' Most Wanted....

....brace yourself for the horror that follows....

1. Joel Israel Green, Fare evasion.

Basically we're talking about a bunch of guys jumping onto and off of Dart without paying their fare, possibly while carrying a roach clip.

So let's re-phrase the earlier question.....'if the law applies equally to rich Highland Park kids and Oak Cliff no-accounts, why aren't more rich highland park kids on the Dallas Sheriff's most wanted list for not paying their DART fares?

I humbly suggest here that the reason fewer highland park kids skip DART fares is because the DART doesn't go from Preston to Turtle Creek among other reasons....

What if we asked instead....'who is more likely to date rape a Tri-Delt during a drunken toga party following a lacross match, a rich white kid from Highland Park or 38 year old unemployed black dude from Oak Cliff?'

I think the answer here is obvious, and the more general point is that it's pretty easy to pick and choose the crimes in question in such a way as to disproportionately include one segment of society while excluding others. IOW, 'What are the deeper issues?' The deeper issue ain't that deep, it's just definitional.

(and I haven't even brought up the War on Drugs, which is far more likely to put a black guy selling a little weed into a prison than a white guy selling 12 year old single malt.)

Chum, as is his habit, inverts reality --

Chum is well aware that I am of the opinion that good and bad are not ephemeral constructs, but instead matters which apply to governments and government officials in the exact same manner as private institution and persons.

That is, I think it's wrong to point a gun at someone's head and take their shit and moreover I think this is true whether one is a no-account from Oak Cliff robbing a liquor store or an IRS agent acting at the behest of an angry mob of registered voters.

Hence, Chum mistakes my moral consistency for anarchy, as if opposition to institutionalized looting is support of chaos.

and for Mavdog and that other guy -- you guys need to work on your reading comprehension and thinking skills....seriously. I'm not saying rape, murder and (for that matter) skipping DART fares aren't crimes. You've wrongly inferred this from what I've written -- I'm saying other things are crimes but these crimes are under-counted in the quoted crimes statistics.
http://www.dallassheriffsoffice.com/...Ten/top10.html

I don't see those petty crimeson the Dallas Sheriffs' Most Wanted list.

Maybe Arlington has something?

http://www.arlingtonpd.org/MostWanted/APDMostWanted.pdf

Or maybe the Dallas PD?

http://www.dallaspolice.net/index.cf...893&openid=193

They all seem to be serious crimes, so why are you listing examples of minor crimes?

The majority of crime stats use "violent crimes" as the main critieria. They aren't considering speeding violations, or parking tickets. So maybe blacks don't break more laws than whites, but they do when it comes to serious/violent crimes.

You consider tax collection a crime? Or "institutionalized looting" as you call it. You are using their services, so you have to pay. Yeah, you are forced to use it in alot of cases, but it is still something our society requires to keep it from breaking into utter chaos. You like having police available incase you need them? Or maybe the fire department? What about the military? Maybe you don't directly rely on them, but the chances you will need them in the future are enough to make it a good idea to pay for them.
ray_sir_6 is offline   Reply With Quote