Thread: Hibbert
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2014, 12:37 AM   #17
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
Calderon/Wright 12m
Hibbert/Hill 23m
We'd also have more than enough cap space to absorb the difference, and that would give the Pacers the option to bring Lance back too, if they still want to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Hibbert is an extremely underwhelming rebounder with low mobility, no ability to defend outside the paint and is unable to even play for this whole series because Atlanta is too fast for him and ATL is not the only team with the fast-strike mentality. Hibbert is Tyson Chandler without the mobility, which is the only reason Chandler was special-- not the shotblocking, but the insane mobility.

Wright, Blair and Dally are all better rebounders than Hibbert. Dally is as effective defensively and almost as effective blocking shots. Daly is as effective offensively as well, which makes Wright light-years ahead of Hibbert. Hibbert is fools gold.

Oh, and he earns 14mill a year which would be a full quarter of our salary cap and could leave us depending on a 38-year-old Carter and 37-year-old Marion.

On the bright side, Hibbert is a marksman and shot 40% from three this year, so there's that.

LOL at that Dally comment. Has he ever been a starter on a top-5 defense in his entire career? Even one time? That is just insane oversimplification and shows a lack of understanding of some of the very basics of NBA defense. My mind is blown right now at that comment. Utterly insane with zero logic to it.

Boy, that is the snarkiest post I've ever read... do you do anything but plug in rebounding percentage numbers before you evaluate centers? Honest question.

Your stats betray you here. Throw out the rebounding percentages of career backups like Blair (who has almost zero other NBA-level skills) and Wright (who is such a lousy defender he hasn't earned a starting role on a team absolutely desperate for size and athleticism). Their numbers are nice until you put them in the proper context: they achieve them against backups and they come in as energy players. Neither of those two should ever be starting on a good NBA team at this point of their careers. And Dalembert, for all of his apparent defensive skills, still blocked far fewer shots and grabbed fewer rebounds than Hibbert -- and even if he comes back next year as the starter, you know that at least 40% of the time you're going to get a shitty effort from him, so bad that you can't even put him on the court. Percentages are nice but they're gimmicky when they're your only real argument. None of those three players should start games for this team unless you could magically count on Dally to actually play with pride and energy on a nightly basis. He's been a backup masquerading as a starter on his last few teams because they haven't had better options.

There's a difference between being just a shot blocker (i.e. Dally and say, DeAndre Jordan, who allowed the same shooting percentage at the rim as David Lee this season) and being a rim protector. Hibbert allows about 40% shooting at the rim when he's in the game (while blocking roughly the same number of total shots for the season). That is absolutely insane. Almost unprecedented. And when he's engaged, he's a good enough rebounder (9.3 RPG per 36 minutes... if he could keep that up for 30-32 MPG he'd already be the second-best rebounding center we've ever had behind one season of Chandler). In short, he has been the most productive defensive center in the league over the past two-plus seasons, and that's with a very young coach. With Carlisle I think big Roy would have the best season of his career. Just a hunch. Maybe I'm wrong and he'll never be good ever again. Still worth a gamble for one year, or two at the most. He's still only 27 and if traded, would have a huge chip on his shoulder. He's a player that needs a change of scenery, and a guy that would also be the second-best center we ever had even if his production from this season (10/6/2 with the absolute best rim protection in recent history) was all he peaked at. I get the feeling that Carlisle would properly motivate him, and a locker room full of veterans that actually have past success on their resumes would be good influences on him.

Another honest question: Have you watched Hibbert or checked out his real production at any time other than the past few months? I admit that he has been extremely disappointing but his current quality of play is a huge outlier when you look at it next to the first half of this season and the two seasons before that. He's 100% without a doubt the #1 rim protector in the league. He's imploding along with the rest of the Pacers because of toxic personalities (Lance, Turner), selfish players (Paul George, Lance again), and exhausted veterans (West, George Hill). I best every single rotation player for the Pacers will play better ball for long stretches before they retire. The whole situation there is just a mess and they need to blow it up in the worst way.

Seriously, unless we're getting Dwight, Joakim, Horford, Drummond, or maybe Gortat (who has had much worse stretches in his career than Hibbert's season, yet many here really want him), we aren't going to have a better center than Hibbert. And if Roy plays like he did for last season and the first 45 games of this year, he's arguably as good (if not better) than all of those guys except Dwight and maybe Noah (two guys we couldn't get if we offered their teams our 10 best trade assets). Why in the hell would you not even take a chance on a guy like this?

I am extremely happy some people here aren't the Mavs GM. It's like they hear a name and immediately look for reasons to make fun of the player (or the poster) instead of actually doing something crazy and considering anything even slightly unorthodox in approaching roster-building. Hibbert is a much safer bet than the Gortats and Larry Sanderseseses of the NBA.

Last edited by spreedom; 04-26-2014 at 12:41 AM.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote