Thread: Rondo?
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2014, 12:06 PM   #90
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Just a thought on the Rondo and Ellis both needing the ball in their hands to be effective thing…Rondo had a ton of success with Pierce, and Pierce very much an on-ball kind of player. Now, there is the stuff about Ray and Rondo out there, but IMO as an outside observer that Reggie Miller type role that Ray Allen slid into as Rondo was coming into his own was the best thing for Ray and the C's (on the court, anyway).

Monta's terrific with the ball, but he's far more decisive than your typical Melo-esque ball stopper, and I do think he can play off the ball (just not when the guy handling the ball is a shoot-first PG like Jennings). He's got some areas of the floor where he can spot up effectively, and if he catches the ball in space and on the move it's nearly impossible to stop him getting what he wants. And Rondo is as good as it gets passing to cutters and setting guys up when they come open off screens. Every other player in the Mavs' starting lineup, Monta included, would benefit from his ability in that regard, IMO.

The lack of shooting with Rondo would be more of a concern. I don't think there's any sugar-coating that can be done there, and I don't expect him to follow in Kidd's footsteps by all of a sudden developing range. The loss of Brandan's second unit offense would also hurt. But the Mavs are in such bad shape at starting PG, and Rondo would be such a massive upgrade over Jameer in every respect other than shooting, that I don't see how it would make sense to pass up a trade for Rondo at this point unless Boston's asking price on picks was unreasonable, or the conversations with Rondo and Duffy about the prospects of Rondo sticking with the Mavs after this season weren't going well.