View Single Post
Old 10-29-2008, 12:20 PM   #37
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavdog View Post
"wrongdoing"? no, I can't see that acorn was guilty of "wrongdoing" in pursuing their goals of better accessibility to housing, and an even chance by minorities and lower income people at getting a lender to make a loan rather than the lender determining that they wouldn't make loans to "those people".

do you see that as "wrongdoing"?
What I see as wrongdoing is the effective blackmail of lenders into lowering credit standards so that people who shouldn't have been getting mortgages were. What I also see as wrongdoing is ACORN getting paid hundreds of thousands of dollars by these banks (in addition to the relaxation of credit standards) so that they wouldn't create a fuss.

Quote:
do I see the idea that everyone should own a home illconceived? absolutely, some people have no business owning a home if they are not responsible enough.
Or, if they simply don't have enough income to afford it. Providing a mortgage to a person that can't afford it does them no favors.

Quote:
as for the voter registration frauds, the "wrongdoing" was committed by the contract workers who cheated.

should acorn have improved systems to catch these worker's cheating? absolutely.

is the system where acorn pays the worker for each voter registration card full of potential problems such as the fraud we've heard about? absolutely.
It seems like we're on the same page here.

Quote:
is acorn committing "wrongdoing" by attempting to register as many eligible voters as can be registered? no.

do you believe that there should not be any private based efforts made to register eligible voters?
I don't have any problem with private efforts to register voters. I do have a problem with trying to register unqualified voters to vote.