Thread: iPhone
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2010, 11:37 PM   #587
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocelot_ark View Post
I've been on the iPhone for almost 2 years. I liked a LOT about it...but I didn't like not having profiles, multitasking, how it handled notifications, being able to customize things, having flash support, or having to use itunes whether I liked it or not. I ended up jailbreaking to get a lot of the things I wanted, but on a 3G it brings my phone to a crawl.
Whenever someone asks me my feeling on Android vs iPhone (my wife has an iphone that I play with periodically) I consistently find myself discussing two things you just mentioned. One is itunes, which is a fairly common topic. I hate it, and the ease with which you can get stuff on and off my phone is just fantastic.

Just today my buddy told me about a very nice keyboard mod for Android. So I clicked a little button (Chrome to Phone) to send the URL to my phone, downloaded a zip, installed the package and boom, I had a brand spanking new keyboard on my phone. Took two minutes. Granted I'm far from a typical user, but whatever, the freedom is there and I could walk anyone through what I did easily.

But the other thing that you mentioned that drives me up the wall on the iphone that I rarely hear mentioned is the notification system. I'm honestly stunned that people put up with it. And I'm beyond stunned that people put up with it on the ipad, where you can do far more interactive actions. To have whatever you're doing be interrupted by a modal dialog box that you must either dismiss or access would drive me insane.

I suspect that part of the reason that it doesn't bother people is the lack of multitasking. You don't have that many things int he background that can pop up and bother you. But that's about to change. I'm very interested in to see how they cope with it.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote