Thread: 2018 NBA Draft
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2018, 01:07 PM   #924
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayth.james.g View Post
Anyone have a link to some film on Michael Porter Jr. that will sell me on why he should be considered a top 5 pick despite the injury questions?

From watching previous summer ball videos, it is clear he is threat from the outside. My concern is the lack of ball handling skills and speed which leads to lack of penetration. Often times, he ends up settling for less than ideal outside shots as a result.

Make no mistake, I know he can shoot. My question is if he can do anything else at the next level. I don't see explosion, quickness, or ball handling as strengths. He has some length, but that advantage will continue to diminish at the next level as he faces longer and taller competitors.

@Underdog - I know you have been an advocate here. Help me to see it.
Sure, Porter takes a lot of "less than ideal outside shots," but his key strength is that he can actually hit them -- the kid is a dominant shooter from pretty much anywhere on the floor and can create his own shot with jabs, fakes, step-backs, etc... Sure, he doesn't have the greatest handles, but he's excellent off the ball, which somewhat negates his only real weakness (especially if a guy like DSJ is setting him up). He has soft hands, which makes him great in catch & shoot situations, but he's also effective at making plays off the bounce or off lobs in slashing situations, using his length and athleticism to wreck shop above the rim. He's comfortable streaking up the floor in transition and deadly in space, which would make him an ideal running mate for Dennis... In addition to is natural scoring abilities, Porter is a strong rebounder with great anticipation and footwork (which also makes him a decent interior defender when it comes to timing blocks), as well as an effective perimeter defender with high awareness that allows him to get around screens and cut off driving/passing lanes.

Of course, this is all pre-injury/high school performance, but he's a really smart, hard-working kid who has amazing athleticism and the necessary length/strength to be successful in the NBA... With the right coach, there's no reason this kid can't be a star (assuming the back injury doesn't linger and derail his career)... I guarantee Carlisle would absolutely love Porter, especially since he's known as a humble, high-character guy with natural leadership ability -- very similar to DSJ in that regard (they both had good upbringings, which helps).

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 03-10-2018 at 01:11 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote