Thread: 2018 NBA Draft
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2018, 03:25 PM   #926
hayth.james.g
Golden Member

hayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Sure, Porter takes a lot of "less than ideal outside shots," but his key strength is that he can actually hit them -- the kid is a dominant shooter from pretty much anywhere on the floor and can create his own shot with jabs, fakes, step-backs, etc... Sure, he doesn't have the greatest handles, but he's excellent off the ball, which somewhat negates his only real weakness (especially if a guy like DSJ is setting him up). He has soft hands, which makes him great in catch & shoot situations, but he's also effective at making plays off the bounce or off lobs in slashing situations, using his length and athleticism to wreck shop above the rim. He's comfortable streaking up the floor in transition and deadly in space, which would make him an ideal running mate for Dennis... In addition to is natural scoring abilities, Porter is a strong rebounder with great anticipation and footwork (which also makes him a decent interior defender when it comes to timing blocks), as well as an effective perimeter defender with high awareness that allows him to get around screens and cut off driving/passing lanes.

Of course, this is all pre-injury/high school performance, but he's a really smart, hard-working kid who has amazing athleticism and the necessary length/strength to be successful in the NBA... With the right coach, there's no reason this kid can't be a star (assuming the back injury doesn't linger and derail his career)... I guarantee Carlisle would absolutely love Porter, especially since he's known as a humble, high-character guy with natural leadership ability -- very similar to DSJ in that regard (they both had good upbringings, which helps).
Thank you for taking the time.

Most of what you said I can see. The only exception is the athleticism. I'm not sure I see it. Would of been nice to see him play college ball. One year older, more set plays, etc.

As you said, he can shoot. That is clear. I'm just not sure if he can create his own shot consistently, and make an impact on both sides of the court. Right now I am torn between him for Mikal Bridges assuming we all feel good about Porter's health.
hayth.james.g is offline   Reply With Quote