View Single Post
Old 04-15-2011, 02:28 PM   #46
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Budapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest View Post
All he has is rings? Isn't that how a superstar is defined? His success in the post season? Kobe not only has had success but has RINGS. Its insane to speak of it like anyone can get them. Only a handful have gotten them in the past 20 years. And Kobe would have no rings if he was on the Mavs but Dirk would have 5 if he was on the Lakers? What is your basis for this opinion? I'd love to hear it.
I've read a stat not that long ago, what summarized all games of the Shaq-Kobe Lakers. Long story short, their winning percentage was about the same, or even rise when Bryant didn't play (significant games, i think around 70?), they won around 70 percent of their games. When Shaq was missing? they won around 20 % (even bigger sample size, don't wanna lie, i think well over 100 games). So they were a lottery team with Shaq out, and Kobe playing, and a championship team when Shaq was playing with Kobe out.

That stat, my general interest for the advanced stats, and the following reasons telling me, no actually screaming to me, that a Shaq-Dirk combo would have been out of this world, and would have meant at least 4 surefire championships. The reasons.

1. On paper, they would have been the perfect fit. Just imagine a Dirk+Howard duo... on crack. The ultimate inside outside combo, the most dominant low post force, combined with the most dominant mid range game that sport ever seen. Statistically, Dirk's impact (PER, adjusted ratings, everything) destroys Bryant's, and also, he's much better in the clutch, despite all the BS Espn trying to advertise. That's a fact, Dirk is a significantly better clutch performer than Mr. Clutch "i have more airball in crunch than anyone in the history of the game, and also one career game winning assist". Dirk is simply a better closer.

2. Chemistry. Dirk would have been a much better sidekick, and happy to play for championships every year. The guy is a winner, and he just wants to win. Obviously, it's impossible to know what would have happened after Shaq gets old, the Lakers gets Gasol, or Artest? Who knows, but i think the logical thinking is that a Shaq-Dirk duo would have been even better not only fit-wise, but from a chemistry standpoint too. So, i'm reversing (or whatever) your original question, and ask you, what is the basis of you thinking when you think Dirk doesn't win playing besides Shaq?

Last edited by Budapest Maverick; 04-15-2011 at 02:58 PM.
Budapest Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote