View Single Post
Old 04-05-2013, 08:33 AM   #4
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Jack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
... but is it the kind of thing that should banish you from your profession for the rest of your life? No, from one perspective, but yes from another. Fascinating.
Isn't it kind of the risk/reward thing? If you're getting paid $700,000 per year to coach basketball at a place like Rutgers, which by virtue of proximity gets disproportionate media spotlght, you can't really afford to get caught on video physically and verbally abusing your players on the scale that Rice did. (it was in part the highlight reel nature of the incidents that made termination inevitable.)

That is, unless you already have 800 or so career wins, your last name is Knight, and you're getting your marginally talented team into the NCAA tourney. If Rice had been winning instead of looking up at .500, he might well still be coaching, I think. They'd have found a rationale to keep him. Hell, they did their best to keep him as it was.

On the other hand if you're out pulling in $70,000/per at Southwest Podunk Community College and this happens, maybe you coach a program again in a few years after selling sneakers & Ts for awhile, and after an assistant coaching gig.

Question: Who hires Rice now? I'd think any AD has to be wary of a guy whose behavior theatens the jobs of both an AD and university president.

Also, who hires Pinetti? (I think he's on his way out.) Update: He's gone.

And who hires Eric Murdock? For MY entertainment dollar, Murdock is the interesting case here. Moral of the story: Don't screw with the AV guy. Some details of the back-and-forth here.

Last edited by Jack.Kerr; 04-05-2013 at 09:16 AM.
Jack.Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote