View Single Post
Old 06-29-2018, 12:17 PM   #188
Luke

Luke is a jewel in the roughLuke is a jewel in the roughLuke is a jewel in the roughLuke is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by saclare View Post
I'd put Pudge and Michael Young above Nolan Ryan for the Rangers. As alluded to, we got some good years of pitching from him, but on the down side and out. But I feel his front office contributions are exaggerated and that he wasn't as instrumental to that side of Rangers' success as most think.

I'd love to have had Beltre for more seasons. He'd absolutely be the front runner.
Michael Young was a very average MLB starting position player. He just happened to be a very average MLB starting position player for a long time in a Rangers uniform. Not sure who to compare him to in the NBA... maybe a slight tick behind a Derek Harper type.. A nice player.. But if you have a team full of them, you're not going to compete for any titles.
Michael Young did have 2-3 outlier seasons in which he was a really good player. But on average, he was pretty average as far as major league starting position players go.
For instance, the first year the Rangers went to the World Series, Michael Young was 11th on the team in WAR...

Last edited by Luke; 06-29-2018 at 12:22 PM.
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote