View Single Post
Old 06-30-2018, 02:06 AM   #192
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

I considered Modano. For me, Mount Rushmore isn't necessarily who's the best. It's who's the biggest name, and who's the biggest legend. The only way he makes the DFW Mount Rushmore is if you're required to include someone from each sport. If you're requiring someone from each major sport, then Modano is mandatory. Otherwise, if we're just going by biggest names/legends in the history of Dallas sports, not only does he not make Mount Rushmore, but honestly he's not even close IMO. Don't get me wrong, this isn't because he doesn't necessarily deserve it, or he didn't have a great enough career. It's because, well... it's hockey. As far as the four major sports go here in Dallas in terms of popularity/importance, hockey is not only fourth, but it's a veeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrryyyyy distant fourth. I listen to ESPN Dallas in the car almost every afternoon. I'd wager they spend at least 75% of the time talking about the Cowboys, the rest of the time is pretty evenly split between the Mavs and Rangers. The Stars, however, practically not even on the radar. Honestly, they might as well play in a different city, going by how much the local media covers them.

So on that basis, while Modano certainly had greater career relative to his respective sport than say, Tony Romo, Romo was and still is a FAR bigger name here in DFW than Modano ever was. Honestly, you could come up with a pretty long list of Cowboys who register much higher on the DFW sports radar than Modano ever did, even if they didn't accomplish near as much in the NFL as he did in the NHL. Just about any noteworthy Cowboy through the years probably garnered more attention here than one of the top 100 NHL players ever. Dak Prescott, Ezekiel Elliott, Jason Witten, Dez Bryant, Demarcus Ware, Michael Irvin, Tony Dorsett, Drew Pearson (hell, pretty much anyone from the Landry years...) Honestly, I might even put Daryl Johnston higher than Modano.

Honestly I don't think any Rangers would come even close either, or any Mavs outside of Dirk. Dirk is the one and only exception because he's one of the top 20 greatest NBA players ever.

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 06-30-2018 at 02:33 AM.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote