View Single Post
Old 04-10-2008, 08:26 PM   #5
jefelump

jefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to all

Originally Posted by alexamenos
Quote:
This looks to me like exactly what the mormon fundies say it is --state sponsored persecution of a religious sect.

if it's mormons doing it because god tells 'em to do it, it's awful....
Let's clarify one fact here. This is NOT the "Mormon" church discussed in this article. This is the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, which is a group who broke away from the aforementioned Mormon church when polygamy was ended over a century ago. The article mentions this as well. There is no association of the FLDS church to the LDS (aka Mormon) church.

And yes, I have been watching this story too. I have no "due process" concerns here. The raid was conducted with court approval (ie., they have warrants). I have read articles where a 16 yr old girl was mentioned having already had 4 children. If she had 1 child per year, she started when she was 12. That is sick.

And as for whether or not these men had more than one wife, the man who is alleged to be the husband of the 16 yr old girl who made the secret cell phone call was reported to have 7 wives.

Knowing about the activities in this community and knowing they were actively practicing polygamy and under-aged forced marriage for four years and doing nothing is also sick. I don't see how they can defend that. If they had proof of a law being broken, it seems to me they could have made arrests sooner. Just my two cents worth.
jefelump is offline   Reply With Quote