View Single Post
Old 04-11-2008, 11:06 AM   #11
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefelump
Originally Posted by alexamenos

Let's clarify one fact here. This is NOT the "Mormon" church discussed in this article. This is the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, which is a group who broke away from the aforementioned Mormon church when polygamy was ended over a century ago. The article mentions this as well. There is no association of the FLDS church to the LDS (aka Mormon) church.

And yes, I have been watching this story too. I have no "due process" concerns here. The raid was conducted with court approval (ie., they have warrants). I have read articles where a 16 yr old girl was mentioned having already had 4 children. If she had 1 child per year, she started when she was 12. That is sick.

And as for whether or not these men had more than one wife, the man who is alleged to be the husband of the 16 yr old girl who made the secret cell phone call was reported to have 7 wives.

Knowing about the activities in this community and knowing they were actively practicing polygamy and under-aged forced marriage for four years and doing nothing is also sick. I don't see how they can defend that. If they had proof of a law being broken, it seems to me they could have made arrests sooner. Just my two cents worth.
a) I try not to make theological judgments as to whether any particular sect is or is not the true adherent of Jesus' ministry to native americans as told to us via magical plates discovered in the 1800's....

2) nobody knows who the 16 yr old girl who made the cell phone call (from an area which has no cell phone service) is....if they don't know who she is, I don't know how they know how many children she had.

3) as noted earlier, the only time the state gets its undies in a wad about someone "actively practicing polygamy" is when that someone says god is ok with it....i have a bit of trouble understanding why such a thing is sufficient reason for the state to confiscate 400 children out of one community;

4) as for your dirth of due process concerns, yes the raid was conducted under the aegis of a warrant....

......notwithstanding the fact that even a wee bit of critical thinking skills will cause one to wonder how a 16 year old mormon fundie girl imprisoned on a compound a) gets a cell phone; and b) manages to make a cell phone call from an area that has no cell phone service (and, for the record Alex knows Schleicher County fairly well).....

I can't quite see how such a warrant could be applied to anyone other than the household and family of say, Mr. and Mrs. (and Mrs.) Jones...the household of Mr. and Mrs. and Mrs. Jones, it seems, ought to be the extent of the due process.....

How, then, does CPS manage to confiscate not only the children of Mr. and Mrs. and Mrs. Jones, but the children of Mr. and Mrs. and Mrs. Smith and Young and Bradly and Romney as well?????