Thread: 2018 NBA Draft
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2017, 03:24 PM   #35
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Nobody is ever going to be the "next Dirk" -- not Porzingis, not Markkanen. It will never happen... At best, those guys will define themselves individually, the same way that Kobe never really became the "next Jordan" -- he became Kobe.

Some players are just too damn unique to emulate, no matter how hard you imitate.
My point is more about the success and impact of that type of player more than becoming the exact player. You can say that about every player because no two players will ever be the exact same.
Dirk had a lot of Bird in him and I'm sure many will see a lot of Dirk in Portzingis and Markkanen. My point is that will be high praise for those guys as Dirk has set the bar high. The mere fact people want to find the next Dirk makes him one of the most unique players and the best at the style in his time.

You rarely hear "he's the next Bird" now because now they are saying "he's the next Dirk".
Until someone takes that to another level for that style (if that is even possible), Dirk will always be the one to compare to.

I do agree there will never be another like him.

Last edited by rimrocker; 12-01-2017 at 03:30 PM.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote