Thread: Now what?
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2022, 11:15 AM   #1375
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

I have this gut feeling that the Heat are salivating at the prospect of adding Donovan Mitchell to a starting five with Butler, Bam, and Lowry. Especially, if they are going to keep pace with the Celtics. The problem is that Miami will need a third team to make it happen because the Jazz are not likely thrilled about the idea of taking on Duncan Robinson's four year contract. Mavs would be in a position to be the third team to make this work. The most straightforward trade being the Mavs send THJ and his three year contract (salary goes down every year) to Utah with Robinson coming to the Mavs. I am not sure that is a great deal for the Mavs but the following might make more sense:

Miami trades:
Robinson to the Mavs
Herro to the Jazz
Oladipo to the Jazz
Several 1st round draft picks to the Jazz

Utah trades:
Mitchell to the Heat
Jared Butler to the Heat (Rudy Gay also works)
Beverley to the Mavs

Mavs trade:
THJ to the Jazz
Powell to the Jazz

Outcome:
Miami receives Mitchell and Butler (or Gay)
Jazz receive Herro, Oladipo, THJ, Powell, draft picks
Mavs receive Robinson and Beverley

It is a lot for the Heat to give up for Mitchell but I am not sure they have much choice if they are going to compete with the Celtics. Boston absolutely won the offseason in my opinion given the additions of Brogdon and Gallo. Miami has to do something and Mitchell is the best option they have if they want to keep their core.

Note: Adding Butler or Gay is not necessary to make the trade work (Mitchell alone works), but the Jazz would need to trade one more player because I do not believe they have enough roster slots otherwise. They could waive Powell immediately as a third option.