View Single Post
Old 11-26-2020, 06:41 PM   #40
GQ2003

GQ2003 is just really niceGQ2003 is just really niceGQ2003 is just really niceGQ2003 is just really niceGQ2003 is just really niceGQ2003 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_Wilson View Post
Is the stuff about WCS outperforming Powell a joke I missed? Or is it a belief that Powell will be so bad coming off injury that the literal last man we signed in free agency(maybe Iwundu is actually the last) will be better than him?

Not being rude, just asking as I've missed a lot over the last few weeks not being on here as much. We chased the corpse of Gasol over WCS before bringing him back. And DP was praised for working harder than anybody in the bubble last year despite his injury. He has been routinely praised as the hardest worker on the roster ever since he got here. Edit- Plus the obvious... he is highly highly efficient when healthy on offense. So it would have to be glaringly obvious for him to be beat out by WCS IMO.

So is the belief that he will be like the corpse of Wesley Matthews once he's healthy and so bad he's going to be out of the league soon or that WCS is basically overlooked by the entire NBA and he's just flat out better? Or am I missing a sarcastic joke?
Its a couple things that has started this conversation. The first part is optimism that WCS, with his second year in a system that really highlights guys with his skillset, will allow him to realize some of the potential that made him a top 10 lottery pick. Remember, he was brought in mid-year with no training camp and also didn't come to the bubble. Plus if we're being honest, he was already better than DP on the defensive end regardless of how hard DP played.

The second part of this theory is that DP coming off a serious achilles injury won't come back from injury as the same player. DP had two things that basically made up his game, his athleticism and his effort. An achilles injury isn't an acl or ankle and is known for taking away the athleticism from those that suffer the injury. If DP comes back as a below the rim player then he won't have nearly the impact on the floor that a WCS would have regardless of how hard DP works.
GQ2003 is offline   Reply With Quote