View Single Post
Old 06-24-2011, 04:12 PM   #87
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingmalaki View Post
I've already explained why I don't rely on PER because it doesn't take into account defensive performance. I don't think it's hard to pull the prime card unless you are saying you don't expect Dirk's playoff numbers to fall as he ages. At the end of the day you are comparing 11 seasons of data to 18. Dirk's playoff numbers will drop.

I prefer raw numbers. You prefer PER. Neither of us have as much reliance in the other guy's numbers so we can agree to disagree. But now that I've explained how I concluded that Malone's playoff numbers are better, since I use the raw numbers, please stop calling me names.

Either way, it seems like as of today we are almost in agreement on where Dirk is ranked, save around 4-5 spots.
I'm saying you can't pull the prime card, because even in his prime, Malone was never on Dirk's level in the playoffs. Looking at raw numbers is extremely myopic. I'm not saying PER & Win Shares are the be all end all, but they certainly hold a lot of weight. Raw numbers are distorted by pace, minutes, etc.

*Edit to add, Malone has the edge defensively, but Dirk's defense is CRIMINALLY underrated. He played fantastic defense in the playoffs. Keep in mind, Dirk post and man defense are very good. In the regular season, he tied KG in PPP on post defense. He was way ahead of Pau, Amare, LA, Scola, West, Bosh, etc.

Last edited by CadBane; 06-24-2011 at 04:13 PM.
CadBane is offline   Reply With Quote