View Single Post
Old 07-01-2011, 10:01 AM   #117
Scoobay
Golden Member

Scoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingmalaki View Post
The raw stat is not irrelevant.

I just looked at the career list for this metric. Marcus Camby is #5 and Carlos Boozer is #6 on the career list. Would you argue that they are the 5th and 6th best defensive rebounders since 1971?

In the 78/79 season Moses Malone grabbed 12 drp a night. His % that season was 21.9. That's below Dirks career % of 22 and Dirk has topped 21.9 nine times. Would you argue that Dirk had a better rebounding season than Moses Malones 78/79 season 9 times? Moses is #36 on this list, and I guarantee you there weren't 35 better defensive rebounders than Moses Malone.

The conclusions for some of this metrics, which is really just another way of crunching numbers to make an ESTIMATE, are not reasonable at all when you use them to start comparing who was better at what. I'm all for using metrics to add more analysis but the conclusions have to CONSISTENTLY make sense.How do you explain some of these inconsistencies?
doesn't defensive rebound rate take into account the pace of the game - if you've got games with a ton of shots going up,there's going to be more rebounds. so in that case raw numbers may not give you as much info.
Scoobay is offline   Reply With Quote