View Single Post
Old 03-31-2007, 09:19 PM   #89
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Smoov
If you dont put Kobe in the top 5 players in the planet, you may have just proved that some people here just watch Mavs basketball and dont have a clue about the rest of the NBA. So, I will just think that you were playing. Even the biggest Kobe haters here would not rate Kobe that low. Name 5 players right now that is better than Kobe? As of matter of fact name 3? Just to defend Kobe a bit...Shaq has never lead his team to a title w/o a Kobe type of player on his team. As of matter of fact, Shaq did not lead the Heat last season to a title. Give Kobe a Shaq type of player, and I would bet my house that Kobe would win a title and lead the team. Put Yao with Kobe, and you will have a automatic dynasty from Day 1...
I'd definitely take Dirk, Duncan, and LeBron over Kobe without much hesitation. I would probably end up putting him in the top 5 but I'd think much harder about it than choosing my top 3. Given a very strong supporting cast Kobe and Yao would have good chance at a tiltle, but it would depend on how good the rest of the team was and it Yao could stay healthy. I definitely wouldn't say it would be a sure fire dynasty. But Shaq just won a title with DShoulder, and I'd rate a heathly Yao over cryboy.

Again, I'll say that Kobe has lots of talent. When it comes to manufactoring a shot for himself, I don't know if anyone comes close to Kobe. Kobe is probably the best at getting 50 or more on any given night. But to build a team around to win a championship, I don't think that Kobe is near as great. I'd take kobe over AI, Mello, Garnett, Arenas, and most of the players in the league. I wouldn't take him over Dirk, Duncan, or LeBron. I'd think about taking him over Nash, TMac, Yao, or Dwight Howard.

My biggest concern with Kobe is not so much his talent as his attitude and his leadership. I'd place Nash head and shoulders over Kobe in attitude and leadership, but Kobe's much higher in talent IMO. I just don't see much hope for Kobe to change his attitude. Maybe after several years of either missing the playoffs or getting 1st round exits he might. Definitely he can win a championship if surrounded with enough talent. Of course there are scores of players who could do that. I think the level of talent that Kobe needs is smaller than most All-star players. Definitely top 10, probably top 5, but not in the top 3. Of course if he could get calls like Dshoulder did in the finals through the whole playoffs that might change. But I doubt even DWhistle gets anywhere close to that amount of overt favortism by the refs over any significant stretch in the playoffs agains.