View Single Post
Old 10-04-2007, 07:59 AM   #19
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

If you want a beer that's all about flavor, then try any Trappist Ale (typically brewed by Trappist Monks in Belgium)... They're twice as expensive as most beers, but also twice as good and twice as strong, so you only have to drink half as much...

They're a beer-drinker's beer, so an underdeveloped palliate might not be able to appreciate their full range... The complexity of the flavor ranges from hoppy to spicy to floral to sweet to wheaty to creamy to fruity to just about any flavor you can imagine - each beer is distinct & original ... They're also a bit fizzy, since beer is SUPPOSED to be a living organism (we pasteurize everything to death in America), so be prepared to burp a lot if you drink too much/fast... Also, there's a bit of sentiment at the bottom of the bottle, since proper beer should continue to brew in the bottle (makes me wonder what the hell European purity laws would classify American macro-brews as?)

My favorite Trappist Ales: Chimay (Belgium), Ommegang Abbey (New York), Duvel (Belgium), La Fin du Monde (Canada), Affligem (Belgium), Orval (Belgium), Maudite (Canada), and Maredsous (New York)...

Any one of those should give you a good idea of what you're getting into - I suggest buying a large bottle of each & taking a weekend off...

And yes, when I'm not drinking beer I prefer to smell my farts out of an empty glass...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 10-04-2007 at 08:04 AM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote