View Single Post
Old 10-31-2004, 09:33 AM   #89
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Devin Harris will start

I haven't read everyone's replies just yet, but what this does do is throw the Mavs into a bigger minutes situation than what most of us originall thought. Why? How many minutes were you projecting for Harris going into pre-season? .....10-15 a game in the regular season? If he's starting, I see no reason to believe that his minutes won't at least approach 30.

So, let's take a look....If Harris is eating 30 minutes a game at the PG, that leaves:
18 minutes as backup at the point
48 minutes at the 2 guard
48 minutes at the SF
and maybe
5 minutes at the backup PF spot maybe...( I did hear an interview where Nellie mentioned that JHo will play some PF minutes)

These minutes are to be distributed between: Stack, Fin, Quis, JHo, and JT. I think we all agree that at least 4 of these guys are NBA starter quality players. Personally, I'm not sold on Quis yet only because he did what he did for such a short period of time. I'm also assuming that Dickau is just an emergency backup guy for now only because it could lessen the numbers crunch a bit between the 5 SG's/PF's. Also, I'm assuming that they're all healthy relatively soon.

So, there's at most 119 minutes UNLESS Nellie decides to cut into the Centers minutes and go small even more often than what we're expecting. With all the centers on the roster, I hope that does not occur.

Let's go ahead and throw out some numbers.

Howard SF - 23 minutes; PF - 5 minutes
Finley SG - 14 minutes; SF - 14 minutes
Terry PG - 18 minutes;
Stack SF - 11 minutes; SG - 14 minutes
Quis SG - 20 minutes

Basically, you're in a numbers crunch. The Mavs would like to play Terry at SG but who's minutes does he take? Surely the Mavs want to limit Finley's SF minutes as much as possible, but both he and Stack are a liability at the 3. One or both of them has to back up Howard. Perhaps Terry's numbers are slashed even further and the minutes at the backup PG spot are either given to dickau or Quis? Probably not at this point. Perhaps Stack's minutes drop, but I don't see that occurring initially because the Mavs would like to see him playing well. If they have to ship someone off, Stack has a very friendly contract if he's playing well. So, the Mavs want him playing at the top of his game. The same goes with Terry. So, at the very least, they have to have enough minutes to show that they can play this game at a high level for a winning team. By doing so with Stack and Terry, don't you then have to limit Fin's minutes to around 28 or so unless you just want to knock Quis down to the teens and make him prove that he can out-play some of the others in the rotation.

Can the Mavs keep everyone happy?
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote