View Single Post
Old 10-31-2004, 11:48 PM   #117
HexNBA
Golden Member

HexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to all
Default RE: Devin Harris will start

Terry takes on sixth man role with optimism

Point guard eager to 'sacrifice' in exchange for team's success

10:42 PM CST on Sunday, October 31, 2004

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

Jason Terry isn't holding a grudge at being replaced by Devin Harris as the starting point guard for the Mavericks.

In fact, he's ready to embrace the move.

"Anybody who looks at the history of me, that's where I made my name," Terry said. "With my energy and leadership coming off the bench with that second group, that's going to be exactly what we need."

Terry was a sixth man for much of his rookie season. But that was with a poor team in Atlanta, and he quickly was promoted to the starting position. When he joined the Mavericks in the Antoine Walker trade this summer, he was penciled into the starting lineup. But as Don Nelson said, pencils come with erasers.

Mavericks/NBA
Point taken: Mavericks rookie Harris will start

Mavs Extra: A lot of fun, at all costs

Breaking down the Mavericks roster (10/31)

Preseason results/schedule

Roster

Mavericks Forum

More Mavericks
"It's a change from what I thought I'd be doing, but I love Terry coming off the bench with [Jerry] Stackhouse," Nelson said. "And we'll bring Marquis Daniels off the bench, too."

That means the starting lineup on Tuesday against the Sacramento Kings will be Erick Dampier, Dirk Nowitzki and Michael Finley on the front line with Josh Howard and Harris in the backcourt.

Terry said after five losing seasons in Atlanta, he'll do anything to ensure success for the team.

"When you have a winning team, somebody has to make a sacrifice," he said. "And that person is me. The biggest difference is we're going to be winning. I'll trade that for anything."

Daniels likely to play: Marquis Daniels missed all eight preseason games with an ankle sprain, but coach Don Nelson expects the 6-6 swingman to be available for Tuesday's opener.

Daniels practiced extensively Sunday. While he had his left ankle wrapped in ice afterward, he said he's made big improvement.

"I can't do everything, but I can do a lot more than I could a week ago," Daniels said. "It's just a matter of getting a lot more strength back in my ankle. I'm trying not to aggravate it too much and trying not to baby it too much."

Nelson said he expects to have a full complement of players for the opener, which is a little surprising given that the preseason was filled with nagging injuries.

"He's been very good in practice," Nelson said of Daniels. "He's not even 100 percent, but I forgot how good he is."

That sentiment was echoed by Jason Terry.

"He's so good, it's scary," Terry said. "And he's so smooth. You don't know he's even out there."

Briefly: This is the second year in a row that the Mavericks appear to have hit it big with rookies. Josh Howard and Marquis Daniels both were key contributors last season, and Devin Harris now has a chance to do the same. "We stayed out of the high-school pool," Michael Finley said. "The guys we've drafted had a lot of college experience. They're always a step ahead. I just hope he [Harris] doesn't think this is over as far as working hard. It gets harder." ... Dan Dickau is expected to be the third member of the injured list, joining Pavel Podkolzin and Tariq Abdul-Wahad.