View Single Post
Old 05-21-2010, 05:54 PM   #104
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
I don't want Arenas for other reasons, but you are underselling him a bit here. As much upside as Roddy has, Arenas is a very, very, very good basketball player. It would be absolutely incredible if Roddy was even 2/3 as good as Arenas by next season.
I don't think so to be honest. Gilbert still hasn't shown that he's fully overcome the whole knee issue and isn't near the level he was at in his prime. Going off the per 36 minutes stats they put up last year:

Roddy - 20.4 pts, 4.0 ast, 3.8 rbd, 61.7 TS%
Arenas - 22.2 pts, 7.1 ast, 4.1 rbd, 51.1 TS%

Throw in the fact that Arenas hasn't really played at a higher level than that in three or so years as well as Roddy being a young player who should only improve, and I don't see why Gilbert is really a much better option than Roddy at this point. I do realize there is some danger in extrapolating his per minute stats and assuming that he can put those up in 36 minutes a game, but is it any more dangerous than assuming that Arenas is overcome all of his injury issues and legal troubles? Plus, I know that Roddy works pretty well with Kidd. I'm not sure how well a ball-dominating guard such as Arenas will work with Kidd.

I don't like the trade for Arenas because I think it will eat into Roddy's minutes, and I'd much rather gamble on what I think Roddy can be than gamble that Arenas can come back from the mess he's gotten himself into. Maybe Arenas is fueled by his frustrations and takes it out on the league, returning to his form of four years prior, but I don't have much faith that it's going to go down like that. I do have faith that Roddy can be the second scoring option on this team if we allow him to grow into that role.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson

Last edited by FINtastic; 05-21-2010 at 05:58 PM.
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote